Dealing with disinheritance can be a difficult situation for many people. If you want to disinherit members of your family, there are a number of methods that you could use. Here are a few things to consider about disinheritance.

Disinheriting a Spouse

Many people want to disinherit a spouse. In most cases, this is not going to be possible. The one exception to this rule is if your spouse agrees to this in advance. For example, if they sign a prenuptial agreement that says they will not inherit any of your assets when you pass. For example, if you are getting married for a second time, both spouses might want to be able to leave their possessions to children from a prior marriage. Unless you take care of it in advance, the property would go to your spouse.

Disinheriting a Child

In most cases, you should be able to disinherit a child. The only state that will not allow you to do this is Louisiana. In every other state, you can simply make a provision in your will that will eliminate any of your estate being passed onto a specific child. You might also choose to give them a small sum of money instead of giving them a full inheritance. You can do this if you have a bad relationship with your child, but this is not the only potential reason for doing so. For example, you might want to give more money to one of your children because they are in bad financial shape. You can also set up a trust in order to distribute the assets to a specific child.

Inheritance with Strings

Sometimes, you do not want to completely disinherit a child, but you want to make sure that they do not waste your estate. Maybe this child or grandchild has a problem with gambling, drugs or alcohol. If you were to leave them a large sum of money, there is a good chance that they would waste most of it on their addiction or other frivolous purchases. If this is the case, you can give them an inheritance with strings attached. You can set up a trust that is only going to give them their portion of the money if they meet certain conditions. For example, if they pass a drug test periodically, they will be able to continue receiving money.

Special Power of Appointment

You can also provide a special power of appointment to your surviving spouse. This will allow them to choose who is going to get your assets when you die.

Changing Beneficiaries

You can also change your beneficiaries on life insurance policies or retirement accounts to disinherit someone. For example, if you are divorced, you can change the beneficiary from your ex-spouse to someone else to avoid giving them any of your money.

blog comments powered by Disqus