If you lose an I bond it does not mean that the money associated with it is gone forever. Believe it or not, you can replace a bond that has gone missing or was stolen. There is a process for this, and you need to know which steps to follow.

Form PD F 1048

To get started, you need to request Form PD F 1048 from the Treasury or visit the Treasury Direct website to download it. If you know the exact issue date you should include this information on the form. If you don’t, include a date range.

Choose a Replacement Option

When filling out the form you will need to choose a replacement bond, or request to claim the value at the present time.

Personal Information

Make sure you include all the proper personal information including your name, social security number, and address. The replacement form must be signed by a certifying officer. The same officer must watch you sign the form as well.

The final step is to mail Form PD F 1048 to the United States Treasury Bureau of the Public Department at:

Bureau of the Public Debt
Division of Customer Assistance
P.O. Box 7015
Parkersburg, WV 26106-7015

blog comments powered by Disqus