When it comes to paying Forex tax, there are a number of things that you are going to need to remember. Here are a few Forex tax tips to keep in mind. 

1. Know Your Options

With Forex, you can choose to report your earnings in two different ways. You can use Section 1256 or Section 988 when filing your taxes. By using section 1256, you can split your earnings up and pay 60 percent of them at the long term capital gains tax rate. The other 40 percent will be at the short-term capital gains tax rate. 

2. Keep Detailed Records

When you are trading in the Forex market, you are also going to want to make sure that you keep detailed records of all of your trades. You should be able to print out a summary of your trades at the end of the year with your broker. However, you might find it useful to keep even more detailed records for your own benefit.

3. Tax Professional

You should also consider working with a good tax professional. Not every tax preparer understands the Forex market or how to handle taxes associated with it. Therefore, you should do your homework and choose a tax preparer that knows what to do.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Scottrade