Truck Liability Insurance Options For Better Protection

If you own a tractor-trailer or a trucking business, truck liability insurance is an essential for you. Accidents happen, hailstorms cause dents, and sometimes cargo gets damaged in transit. All of these situations may be covered by truck insurance, depending on the kind of policy you carry. A certain amount of insurance is required by law, but what if you're looking for more coverage than just the mandated minimum? The following are some of your options for better protection from your truck liability insurance.

Primary Liability

A primary liability policy is the minimum type of coverage available. It is required at both the state and federal levels. It is mandatory because it covers damage or injury to other parties, rather than to your truck or driver. It's just the basic insurance policy. Like basic car insurance, it covers against damage to another vehicle or injury to another person as the result of an accident. As with all policies, claim amounts covered will vary according to your insurance carrier.

Physical Damage Liability                             

This type of policy is a step up from the basic primary liability coverage. A physical damage plan will cover you against damage to your truck and trailer, as well as personal injury to the driver. This includes damage to the truck or trailer caused by collision, severe weather, theft, vandalism, fire and flood.

Motor Truck Cargo Liability

Motor truck liability is generally an add-on, or rider, to your underlying insurance, whether that is a primary liability policy or a physical damage liability policy. It will protect you against damage to or loss of the freight you are hauling. Pricing for this type of coverage is typically based on the types of cargo you haul.

Non-trucking Liability

Non-trucking coverage is an important aspect of total coverage. This type of coverage will cover things that happen when a truck is not actually hauling anything or when the driver is not on the clock. For example, if one of your drivers is getting his truck washed and the windshield gets cracked or the truck gets a dent, a non-trucking policy would cover or help defray the costs of repair. Note that this type of coverage only goes into effect when the driver is not under dispatch or the trailer is not loaded; once the trailer is loaded or the driver is under dispatch, the truck and driver would be covered by your primary insurance policy.
blog comments powered by Disqus