How to Remove Incorrect Information from Your Credit Report

In order to remove credit report mistakes, there are a number of steps that you will need to complete. Your credit report is one of the most important things that you have in your financial life. You need to make sure that it is accurate so that you will be able to get the best rates on loans. Here are a few things to consider about how to remove incorrect information from your credit report.

Get a Copy

The first thing that you are going to need to do is get a copy of your credit report. You are not going to know if there are any errors on your report unless you can see a copy of it first. In order to do this, you will need to get on the website of one of the three major credit bureaus. You can visit Experian, Transunion or Equifax to obtain this information. You can also go to the FICO website in order to get a copy of any of your credit reports with a credit score. You are entitled to get one free credit report per year from each of the three credit bureaus. You can download this directly from the websites. If you have already obtained your free copy for the year, you can purchase an additional copy for a minimal fee.

Identify the Errors

You will then need to identify what is wrong with your credit report. You will need to look at all of the different accounts that are covered on your report. Try to determine if there are any mistakes with any of them. For example, one of them might have reported a late payment or made a negative statement about your account. If the information is untrue, you need to do what you can to remove it.

Call the Creditor

The first thing that you should try is to communicate directly with the creditor that made the error. Tell them what is wrong with your credit report and ask if they will change it for you. If you are a valued customer, many times they will change it for you immediately. You may also have to mail them a letter and a copy of your credit report in order to show them what is wrong. If they are unwilling to make the necessary changes, you will need to go to the credit bureaus.

Credit Bureaus

You will now need to mail a letter and a copy of your credit report to the credit bureaus. Circle the item in question on your credit report. Then write a letter asking them to change the item. If you need help, here is a sample letter for inspiration.


To Whom it May Concern,

My name is John Doe, and I would like to dispute an item on my credit report. The item in question is a statement that says my account with XYZ Corporation is 90 days late. I have made every payment on time, and I have enclosed proof of such timely payments. Please consider removing the item from my report. 


John Doe

View all 3 of your FREE Credit Scores

blog comments powered by Disqus